[ec2-beta] Java installation hangs

Alf Eaton lists at hubmed.org
Mon Jan 12 18:56:08 GMT 2009

I'm having problems installing Java on the Ubuntu Intrepid EC2 AMI -
it keeps hanging when installing sun-java6-bin or
openjdk-6-jre-headless.

Steps to reproduce:

===

ec2-run-instances ami-814aaee8 -k ec2-keypair
ec2-describe-instances
ssh -i ~/.ec2/ec2-keypair.pem my.instance.amazonaws.com
choose to install Basic Ubuntu server and OpenSSH server
repeat login, as root
enable multiverse in /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y
apt-get install sun-java6-jre
accept the license agreement

===

The machine always hangs on "Setting up sun-java6-bin".

If I try to use OpenJDK, the same thing happens:
apt-get install openjdk-6-jre
hangs on "Setting up openjdk-6-jre-headless".

Is there something obviously wrong?

alf