[ec2-beta] I just wanted to report a few things with Ubuntu on EC2

Eric Hammond ehammond at thinksome.com
Sun Jan 11 23:48:12 GMT 2009

Mirza:

Thanks for finding and reporting this.

The problem running the newaliases command comes down to the fact that
the beta image is currently built with no domain name.  The command

  hostname -f

returns

  ubuntu.

and dnsdomainname returns nothing.

Many other EC2 images start with a host+domain matching the internal DNS
name of the instance (presumably obtained from DHCP when networking
starts).  For example (though not all follow this format),

  domU-12-31-39-00-C0-81.compute-1.internal

Some EC2 images query the external DNS name of the instance and set that
as the host and domain name on boot.  For example,

  ec2-174-129-140-172.compute-1.amazonaws.com

I agree that it would be nice for postfix installation to work without
too much additional effort on the part of a new user and either of these
options would do it.

I think I'd slightly prefer the external DNS name so that when installed
software gets configured it defaults to a name that works from both
inside and outside of EC2.

I've been using the internal DNS name on the community Ubuntu images I
build partly because it was easier at the beginning and partly because
the main existing images were doing it that way.

I've entered a bug report to track this problem (LP#316201) in the
official Ubuntu images.

--
Eric Hammond
ehammond at thinksome.com