[ec2-beta] RDP Login

Eric Hammond ehammond at thinksome.com
Thu Feb 26 08:27:56 GMT 2009

Reuven:

It is possible to install the desktop software on an Ubuntu EC2 instance
and access it using remote desktop tools.

The package I've found to be the most impressive from a performance
perspective is NX from NoMachine.

  http://www.nomachine.com/download.php

Though it's not open source, they have a free server which allows up to
two concurrent connections per instance and free clients for Linux, Mac,
and Windows.

I just ran through this process to make sure it works on the beta images
and once again forgot I was not using my local computer as I was
browsing the web.  It's that fast.

That said, I agree with Rodney that you should try to administer servers
without using a desktop.

In my experience, an image with the desktop software installed can take
5-10 times as long to start up as a base server image.  Plus, once you
learn the command line methods things become much easier to automate,
saving you a lot of time down the road.

--
Eric Hammond
ehammond at thinksome.com