[ec2-beta] hung processes

Eric Hammond ehammond at thinksome.com
Wed Feb 25 22:03:25 GMT 2009

Anna:

Are you snapshotting the EBS volumes?

Does your snapshot process freeze the file system (e.g., xfs_freeze)?

If so, it's possible that the snapshot process failed and left the file
system frozen which would cause some commands to hang, especially if
your current working directory might be on that file system.

If this fits with your experience, try a command like
  xfs_freeze -u /mountpoint
or the equivalent for your file system.

Also note that you generally don't want to include the EBS volume file
systems when rebundling to a new AMI.  Use the --exclude option to
exclude the mount point.

--
Eric Hammond
ehammond at thinksome.com