[ec2-beta] Java install freezes instance

Clifton Parker cbparker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 22:32:52 GMT 2009

Just FYI I forgot to mention...

The log I pasted actually came from the "Output" option on the EC2 web
interface, since I cannot get the commandline tools to work. Which is how I
stumbled upon this issue in the first place.
The whole reason I was trying to get the commandline tools to work was to
try and see if I could attach an EBS volume to my windows instance, as the
web interface is only allowing me to attach
anything to a linux instance right now (another bug perhaps?).
At first I tried running the tools from an external box, and got this:

$ time ./ec2-describe-instances
Client.InvalidSecurity: Request has expired

real    0m5.536s
user    0m4.510s
sys     0m0.256s

Then I tried from an ec2 windows instance:

D:\ec2>ec2-describe-instances
Unexpected error:
org.codehaus.xfire.fault.XFireFault: General security error; nested
exception is:
        java.security.cert.CertificateParsingException: invalid DER-encoded
certificate data
        at
org.codehaus.xfire.fault.XFireFault.createFault(XFireFault.java:89)
        at org.codehaus.xfire.client.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:83)
        at org.codehaus.xfire.client.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:114)
        at org.codehaus.xfire.client.Client.invoke(Client.java:336)
        at
org.codehaus.xfire.client.XFireProxy.handleRequest(XFireProxy.java:77)
        at org.codehaus.xfire.client.XFireProxy.invoke(XFireProxy.java:57)
        at $Proxy12.describeInstances(Unknown Source)
        at
com.amazon.aes.webservices.client.Jec2.describeInstances(Jec2.java:981)
        at
com.amazon.aes.webservices.client.Jec2.describeInstances(Jec2.java:945)
        at
com.amazon.aes.webservices.client.cmd.DescribeInstances.invokeOnline(DescribeInstances.java:42)
        at
com.amazon.aes.webservices.client.cmd.BaseCmd.invoke(BaseCmd.java:637)
        at
com.amazon.aes.webservices.client.cmd.DescribeInstances.main(DescribeInstances.java:51)
Caused by: org.apache.ws.security.WSSecurityException: General security
error; nested exception is:
        java.security.cert.CertificateParsingException: invalid DER-encoded
certificate data
        at
com.amazon.aes.webservices.client.CryptoProxy.getCertificates(CryptoProxy.java:78)
        at
org.apache.ws.security.message.WSSecSignature.prepare(WSSecSignature.java:286)
        at com.amazon.aes.webservices.client.Jec2.signRequest(Jec2.java:239)
        at com.amazon.aes.webservices.client.Jec2.access$000(Jec2.java:70)
        at com.amazon.aes.webservices.client.Jec2$1.invoke(Jec2.java:152)
        at
org.codehaus.xfire.handler.HandlerPipeline.invoke(HandlerPipeline.java:131)
        at org.codehaus.xfire.client.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:79)
        ... 10 more
Caused by: java.security.cert.CertificateParsingException: invalid
DER-encoded certificate data
        at sun.security.x509.X509CertImpl.parse(X509CertImpl.java:1701)
        at sun.security.x509.X509CertImpl.<init>(X509CertImpl.java:303)
        at
sun.security.provider.X509Factory.engineGenerateCertificate(X509Factory.java:104)
        at
java.security.cert.CertificateFactory.generateCertificate(CertificateFactory.java:305)
        at
com.amazon.aes.webservices.client.CryptoProxy.getCertByName(CryptoProxy.java:118)
        at
com.amazon.aes.webservices.client.CryptoProxy.getCertificates(CryptoProxy.java:76)
        ... 16 more

So at the moment I have no idea how to get the commandline tools working, or
how to attach a volume to windows.
But anyways, after I tried those things I tried to get the tools running on
my ubuntu instance and that's when I noticed the kernel issue.

Any ideas?

Please let me know if more info is needed.

Thanks