[ec2-beta] Planned differences between alestic <-> official ubuntu images?

Heinrich, Maximilian heinrich at esono.de
Mon Feb 9 21:41:45 GMT 2009

Hi Eric,

> Yes, the Ubuntu and Debian AMIs listed on http://alestic.com currently
> default to Amazon's latest 2.6.21 kernel.  The known problems this
> causes are:
>
> - AppArmor is disabled
> - XFS has problems on Ubuntu Intrepid (but works on Hardy)
>
> Amazon EC2 does not allow you to run your own kernel which is one reason
> the relationship that Canonical has developed with Amazon is so
> exciting: We will soon have real, modern Ubuntu kernels to run on.

Thanks for the info - this definitely clears things up for me! :-) I thought due to the fact that there are possibilities to convert vmware-images to ami-images one could run any system on ec2.

Any ideas how soon "soon" is for the 8.04LTS Server 64bit ami? So I could decide whether to wait or to go with the old-kernel-but-anyway-fine-working image...?

Thanx - max