[ec2-beta] Mounting S3 buckets

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 21 09:31:47 BST 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:31:44AM -0500, Jon Marston wrote:
> I'm interested in mounting s3 buckets as drives in my ubuntu ec2 instances.
>
> There are a number of promising open source projects for this (s3fs in
> particular) which provide this functionality as a fuse setup,

We need to find the best one (or best ones) and put them in Ubuntu so
that people can try them out and we can find the very best solution.
With luck, someone will pick up the ball on this for our next release,
the Karmic Koala.

> I'm also not to keen to put my aws credentials as plain text on my ec2
> instance.

Well, the AMI is going to have to authenticate against S3 somehow, so
it's going to be difficult to work around the need for your credentials
on the AMI.

--
Soren Hansen                 |
Lead Virtualisation Engineer | Ubuntu Server Team