[ec2-beta] Instances show no console output, do not respond?

Eric Hammond ehammond at thinksome.com
Wed Dec 17 20:05:16 GMT 2008

EBS is a fantastic feature and in my opinion is by itself a reason to
move services to Amazon EC2.

I wrote a tutorial for Amazon describing one way to use EBS for hosting
a MySQL database:

   http://ec2ebs-mysql.notlong.com

I need to update the tutorial so that it works with the official Ubuntu
beta AMIs since the approach I originally described does not work with
the default AppArmor configuration.

Minor clarification on performance:

The current general consensus based on lots of different performance
tests and statements from Amazon seems to be that EBS generally performs
better than ephemeral (local) storage for random IO especially when you
RAID multiple EBS volumes together.  At this level you would be using a
large or xlarge instance for more network capacity.

Ephemeral storage generally performs better than EBS for large
sequential IO, especially after the initial write penalty has been paid
(first write to a block on the instance takes longer than subsequent
writes).

It is also possible to RAID ephemeral partitions for better local
performance if you don't need the persistence of EBS or want to pay the
additional cost.

--
Eric Hammond
ehammond at thinksome.com