Ubuntu desktop documentation scope and location

Heather Ellsworth heather.ellsworth at canonical.com
Thu May 19 14:57:39 UTC 2022

On 5/19/22 05:06, Daniele Procida wrote:
> On 16 May 2022, at 17:22, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <gunnarhj at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-05-16 17:28, Daniele Procida wrote:
>
>>> No documentation should ever be maintained in more than one place.
>>> Any plan to create a new place will have to include a plan for
>>> consolidation and unification - including removal of existing
>>> material from other places - in order to be viable.
>>> In the meantime, the best place is the place that exists already,
>>> while we gather strength and resources to tackle the problem in a
>>> co-ordinated and systematic way.
>>
>> Thanks for sharing the rationale, Daniele. I agree on your problem description as well as the goal.
>>
>> But with that said, it's a bit unfortunate IMO to conclude that help.ubuntu.com is the only viable location in the meantime. help.ubuntu.com requires complete static HTML pages, which is a cumbersome way to handle documentation compared to e.g. discourse.
>
> I did in fact have in mind the help.ubuntu.com wiki as “the place that exists already”!
>
>> Also discourse.u.c is a "place that exists already". ;)
>
> Indeed it exists, and it's also used as the backend for Ubuntu Core and Server for example, which exist as standalone documentation properties.
>
> Ubuntu desktop’s in a different position. help.ubuntu.com, help.ubuntu.com/community and wiki.ubuntu.com already exist as competing places where its documentation is found, and we need to be reducing that number rather than increasing it.

The Enterprise documentation will be put on the backburner for now then,
since we would need to write static html to live on help.ubuntu.com. I
spoke with the Enterprise team about our option and they said we will
wait until we have that final solution.

It might not even be that long to wait, now that the documentation
author role is Finally open :)

> A Discourse-backed solution is an option to replace the existing wikis, but the key there is that it will need to replace them, not add to them.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniele

Cheers,
Heather