Ubuntu desktop documentation scope and location

Daniele Procida daniele.procida at canonical.com
Thu May 19 11:06:09 UTC 2022

On 16 May 2022, at 17:22, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <gunnarhj at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 2022-05-16 17:28, Daniele Procida wrote:

>> No documentation should ever be maintained in more than one place.
>> Any plan to create a new place will have to include a plan for
>> consolidation and unification - including removal of existing
>> material from other places - in order to be viable.
>> In the meantime, the best place is the place that exists already,
>> while we gather strength and resources to tackle the problem in a
>> co-ordinated and systematic way.
>
> Thanks for sharing the rationale, Daniele. I agree on your problem description as well as the goal.
>
> But with that said, it's a bit unfortunate IMO to conclude that help.ubuntu.com is the only viable location in the meantime. help.ubuntu.com requires complete static HTML pages, which is a cumbersome way to handle documentation compared to e.g. discourse.

I did in fact have in mind the help.ubuntu.com wiki as “the place that exists already”!

> Also discourse.u.c is a "place that exists already". ;)

Indeed it exists, and it's also used as the backend for Ubuntu Core and Server for example, which exist as standalone documentation properties.

Ubuntu desktop’s in a different position. help.ubuntu.com, help.ubuntu.com/community and wiki.ubuntu.com already exist as competing places where its documentation is found, and we need to be reducing that number rather than increasing it.

A Discourse-backed solution is an option to replace the existing wikis, but the key there is that it will need to replace them, not add to them.

Regards,

Daniele