Ubuntu desktop documentation scope and location

Doug Smythies dsmythies at telus.net
Tue May 10 20:50:54 UTC 2022

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 10:43 AM Heather Ellsworth
<heather.ellsworth at canonical.com> wrote:
> On 4/20/22 08:07, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> > On 2022-04-08 20:15, Heather Ellsworth wrote:
> while Discourse is the way we've been told to go,
> I cannot get a green light to get a space setup for desktop discourse
> documentation. So as an engineer that is passionate about improving our
> documentation, I feel some frustration of needing to move along but not
> being allowed to. I have some pressure to publish some documentation
> targeting the enterprise folks Now, with no forever home for it.
>
> So Conner was accurate in identifying the enterprise docs need as what
> spawned the need for a general docs discussion here.
>

> > I can imagine that sometimes there may be an urgent need to inform the
> > users about something. There may also be contents of a temporary nature
> > where it wouldn't be worth it to let it pass the translators. But I'd
> > like to see those as exceptions.
> >
> > So to summarize my idea:
> >
> > 1. User guide: Mallard + translations (both existing and additional
> >      content)
> >
> > 2. Enterprise admins: Discourse
> >
> > 3. Developers: Discourse
>
> Ok I know it's not ideal, but given my limitation on getting a desktop
> discourse space and the need for enterprise docs to be published asap, I
> would like to have a help.ubuntu.com/desktop page that would have a
> subpage for enterprise. That enterprise subpage would contain everything
> in that AD whitepaper plus more tutorials and how-to guides and such.
>
> I was planning to write this all in markdown, to ease the transition to
> discourse in the future (assuming it IS coming).
>
> This would be similar to help.u.c/rst but so much larger. The sheer
> scope of the necessary enterprise docs means I need a place for it to go
> now and grow.
>
> Gunnar, Doug, Daniele: What are your thoughts on this?

I still do not understand why AD (Active Directory) stuff isn't best suited
to go on the existing Ubuntu Serverguide discourse pages. But I haven't
seen the whitepaper, and don't know that I would be able to digest it if I did.

If it is ultimately intended to be on discourse, then my input would be to do
it on discourse from the beginning.

... Doug