I can help

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 21 12:07:26 UTC 2020

Hi John,

Thanks for your message!

On 2020-07-21 04:24, John Shipp wrote:
> hi.  I'd like to contribute to the Ubuntu Community Wiki.  I joined
> the "Ubuntu Wiki Editors" team, but I don't seem to have permission
> to edit the wiki.

Did you log in?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommunityHelpWiki

> After being let down by the wiki while trying to setup a persistent
> mount in my fstab, I stumbled upon the answer in this bug report,
> which is 7 YEARS old.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+bug/1244123
>
> A guy had the answer, but was told the edit the wiki himself.  It's
> apparently not easy to edit the wiki.

I was the one who suggested that. And yes, it's pretty easy once you are
logged in. :)

You need to understand what the Community Help Wiki is about. It
consists of contributions from community members. Ideally those who put
up new pages keep maintaining them, but that's not always the case.
Anybody with sufficient skill can jump in and improve an existing page,
but there are not enough people who do that kind of work, and as a
result some pages are outdated.

Previously there was a team dedicated to monitoring the Community Help
Wiki, but its members stepped down.

> I stuck my head in the IRC room too but then noticed the IRC Archive
> which shows the IRC room is pretty much dead.  The bug is fairly
> major, Ubuntu doesn't actually mount a windows share at boot without
> the option i'm trying to add to the fstab line, and it's embarrassing
> for the wiki to be so bad.
>
> I have an updated page I'd like to upload (see attached).
>
> A lot of the content on the MountWindowsSharesPermanently page
> pertains to obsolete versions of Ubuntu, and should be removed or
> archived, so people won't have to wade thru so much mess to get what
> they need.  I would rewrite the whole page from scratch if somebody
> would let me.

Please feel free to go ahead and improve it, if you have enough
knowledge on the topic.

> Ubuntu-doc's own documentation needs a lot of attention.  For
> example, on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/MeetingAgenda,
> "The next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 30, 2017 @ 18:00 UTC"
> - um, is there anybody at the wheel anymore?

Well, I am as regards the official desktop guide, together with Doug
Smythies who helps with the publishing at <https://help.ubuntu.com>. But
that is quite a different kind of work compared with maintaining the
Community Help Wiki.

> I believe I would be a good candidate to take the wheel if the
> position is open.

Unfortunately most positions are open. If your interest is primarily the
Community Help Wiki, it would be much appreciated if you would like to
work with improvement of those pages/sections where you have the
sufficient knowledge to do so.

As regards the official desktop guide, an extra member would certainly
be welcome. My time/energy suffices to keep it rolling, but the contents
would need more attention. Please note, though, that there is a learning
curve before you would be able to really contribute to the desktop guide.

--
Cheers,

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj