Documentation Triage?

Doug Smythies dsmythies at telus.net
Wed Dec 16 01:11:46 UTC 2020

On 2020.12.14 Monica Ayhens-Madon wrote:

> Hello! My name is Monica Ayhens-Madon, and I'm on the Ubuntu MATE team and
> am a new Ubuntu member.

Hi Monica and welcome.

> I'd like to help the Ubuntu documentation,
> especially helping contributors find important and urgent documentation
> needs to work on (and thus helping out the people currently directing
> contributors to areas that need help!). If this seems like a good/do-able
> idea, I'd be glad to chat about this in either the IRC channel

Hmmm... I looked in the IRC logs and saw your "wave" yesterday, and no reply.
I do not dwell on IRC, only going there if I absolutely have to.

> or here on
> the mailing list!

We are a rather quiet group these days. In the last LTS cycle, the server team more or less took over the Ubuntu Server guide, which was desperate for subject matter expert input. Everything there is handled by discourse [2] now. I still handle the older release docbook versions.

Gunner is the main person handling the desktop help, but even its main source is now the upstream gnome stuff.

Both Gunnar and/or I compile and publish help.ubuntu.com as needed.

I have never known anything about the other publications for xubuntu or lubuntu or whatever (Mate).

Have a look at the open bug reports [1] to see if there is something you might want to tackle.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs
[2] https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/introduction/11322?_ga=2.13262641.703970753.1608077971-1242362650.1246318765

... Doug