Ubuntu Serverguide - pending point release for 18.04 will be in English only.

Doug Smythies dsmythies at telus.net
Mon Jun 17 23:14:29 UTC 2019

On 2019.06.17 12:30 Frank Heimes wrote:

> Hi Doug,

Hi,

> glad to hear about the move to git
> - already any more details on the 'markup' language?

Last I knew (September), there were two contenders,
as proposed by the Canonical Docs team. Excerpt
from Josh Powers (Reference, my archives: 2018.09.28 10:38) below:

>1) Migrate the docs to use Markdown as was originally outlined in the
> proposal last year [1]
>
> 2) Update the docs to use Discourse similar to how snapcraft [2] has.
> The snapcraft project has a Discourse forum with a 'doc' subforum [3]
> where each page is listed to allow for edits, questions, and
> contributions to be made. Once the base content is updated the website
> [4] is updated as well.
>
> [1]
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-server/2017-February/007459.html
> [2] https://github.com/canonical-websites/discourse-docs.snapcraft.io
> [3] https://forum.snapcraft.io/c/doc
> [4] https://docs.snapcraft.io/

> And do you think if the other guides will follow this
> approach as well - like especially installation guide ?

I have no idea. In terms of the installation guide, all
that I do is per LTS cycle simple edits, compile and
publish on help.ubuntu.com. Sometimes the published
version of the installation guide might slightly differ from the
packaged version, because my request for a merge proposal just
sits there, so I go ahead anyhow and publish what I have.
(not the case at the moment.)

... Doug