SRUing the documentation

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Mon May 8 15:51:52 UTC 2017

Hi Documentation team,

we in the Server Team were wondering how we should handle issues where
content in the serverguide would lead the users into issues.

In the current case [1] the guide essentially misses a step and everyone
following it will run into the same issue. The "fix" can't really be made
in a programatic way so we would like to open a bug and push it into a
refreshed serverguide.

Yet OTOH myself and a few others on the chat remembered that you have only
limited doc "release" dates and outside of those you usually will not
upload new content.

We naively (you know non Doc experts) discussed and wondered if for
refreshing the serverguide an "SRU spirit" [1] should apply. So surely not
every line changed shall be pushed in between LTS'es, but everything that
is a real bug that can be solved this way should be able to be updated in
our opinion. We called it "SRU spirit" as certainly extra requirements
apply to push those, like
- important change
- double checked against regressions e.g. not something only working on a
newer release than the LTS
- getting some extra reviews + signoffs + discussion preferably via a bug
linking to a serverguide merge proposal

So given we have a current case we'd like to fix there, how could we
proceed to get a DSRU (Doc Stable Release Update)?

[1]: http://paste.ubuntu.com/24536348/
[2]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates#When

--
Christian Ehrhardt