Proposed road map for ubuntu-docs

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 30 09:15:53 UTC 2017

On 2017-04-30 02:47, Doug Smythies wrote:
> On 2017.04.29 15:48 Gunnar wrote:
>>

> Yes, I think we could run yelp-check on the help.ubuntu.com version.

Well, it probably can't be run on the converted HTML pages.

> I'm sure we can figure out something.

Me too.

>> One thing which remains to be dealt with is how to build the HTML for
>> help.ubuntu.com. The .page files will be split into three source
>> packages/branches:
>> - gnome-user-docs
>> - gnome-getting-started-docs
>> - ubuntu-docs
>>
>> We need a convenient method to do that.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> Maybe a separate tiny branch
>> with script + template which bases the build on the installed stuff in
>> /usr/share/help/<lang>/gnome-help ?
>
> It would my preference to not need the "installed stuff".
> Why not?
> 1.) Because I almost always build/compile on a server without that stuff.
> 2.) We will want to be able to build/compile sometimes on a machine running
>     a different version of Ubuntu than the docs html version being built.

I agree on those disadvantages. Another approach would be to copy
basically the HTML build stuff which we currently have in ubuntu-docs to
the two other branches. One disadvantage with that would be that any
change to the script or template would need to be made in three places.

> I'll try to help with creating some build environment, with the disclaimer
> that the requirements might end up beyond my abilities.

Great if you start thinking; suppose we need to wait a bit before it can
be tested.

I'm going to make initial selections of ubuntu-docs pages to keep
respective gnome-user-docs pages to fork and modify. I'll also tweak
debian/rules in gnome-user-docs and make gnome-user-guide and
ubuntu-docs depend on each other so they can co-exist again.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj