Proposed road map for ubuntu-docs

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 27 14:45:33 UTC 2017

After Jeremy raised the question about which package to use for the
Ubuntu documentation, we have had some discussion off-list, which ended
up in <https://launchpad.net/bugs/1686267>. So I'd say that the working
hypothesis, at least for now, is that we'll keep ubuntu-docs.

Now, the name of the package is not really the most important aspect.
But the ubuntu-docs Bazaar branch is a handy tool, where all the docs
pages reside, and from which we up to now have built both the
ubuntu-docs package which is installed locally and the HTML version
which is published at help.ubuntu.com. My hope is that we won't
unnecessarily change that workflow.

So, what will be new? Most of the ubuntu-docs pages already origin from
GNOME Help. This will obviously be even more true in Ubuntu 17.10, and
the need for Ubuntu specific customization will be significantly
reduced. The Unity specific pages will simply be dropped.

My idea is to fork the applicable version of the GNOME Help .page files,
and as a first step replace the current pages in ubuntu-docs with the
GNOME Help pages. That will give us this initial structure:

https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/3.24/

Then we should identify which of the current Ubuntu specific pages that
make sense to keep, and make the necessary changes to integrate those
pages into the structure.

Since the upstream GNOME Help pages will make up most of ubuntu-docs,
and the GNOME desktop environment tend to change faster than what has
been the case with Unity 7 in the past few cycles, it's important that
we don't make it difficult to update to new page versions by forking
again. This means that we should avoid to make Ubuntu adjustments to the
GNOME pages. Instead, if we identify room for improvements, we should at
first hand work with the GNOME folks and propose upstream changes.

As regards translations, at this time I think it makes sense to keep the
Launchpad interface (the ubuntu-help translation domain). The GNOME Help
pages have been translated upstream, and my intention is to try to
somehow import those translations to Launchpad, so the translators don't
need to redo the work. This will probably need some manual fiddling -
can't tell exactly how at the moment.

What do you all think? Does this sound as a sensible synopsis of a road map?

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj