ubuntu-docs or gnome-user-docs for Ubuntu 17.10?

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 22 16:02:47 UTC 2017

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Doug Smythies <dsmythies at telus.net> wrote:
> I am used to some grey type theme with droplets of water that
> look like a foot print. Today, that isn't what I am getting. I seem
> to now get some Ubuntu looking desktop.

Yes, the default Ubuntu GNOME 17.04 wallpaper is a blue pattern, not a
wet grey foot any more. But it also depends on how you installed
GNOME.

> I have these options:
>
> GNOME; GNOME Classic; GNOME on Wayland; Ubuntu (default); Unity8
>
> Where I can not tell the difference between GNOME and GNOME Classic,
> and GNOME on Wayland doesn't work.

GNOME Classic looks quite a bit different than GNOME; GNOME Classic is
made to look more like GNOME 2. GNOME on Wayland currently doesn't
work with lightdm (LP: #1632772) but Ubuntu GNOME uses gdm3 by
default.

It's probably easiest to just install Ubuntu GNOME 17.04 in your VM
instead of trying to add GNOME to your Ubuntu 17.04 install. Of
course, 17.10 will be a bit different…

> But why customize the gnome-user-docs at all?
> Why not set the objective of using them as is?

Yes, there are advantages to doing that.

Thank you,
Jeremy