Fix incorrect syntax in ubuntu-docs translations

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 25 20:38:33 UTC 2016

Many translatable strings in ubuntu-docs contain Mallard markup.
Normally, when translating, such markup should be left *exactly* as is.
However, we are human and we make mistakes. If a translation with some
Mallard markup does not pass Mallard's picky syntax checks, it will be
ignored, and the original English string will appear on the localized
page instead.

There are two scripts in the ubuntu-docs branch to facilitate detection
of such errors. To make use of them, start with installing these packages:

sudo apt-get install bzr gnome-common yelp-tools yelp-xsl

Then you should download the latest versions of the branch files. For
example, to check the German translations, you should use these commands:

~$ bzr export ubuntu-docs lp:ubuntu-docs
~$ cd ubuntu-docs/scripts
~/ubuntu-docs/scripts$ ./translation-test-build.sh de

And if (when) that test passes you can continue with:

~/ubuntu-docs/scripts$ ./validate.sh de

The latter checks for e.g. invalid internal links.

Hopefully this will help improve the status of the ubuntu-docs
translations. For 16.04 the "NonLanguagePackTranslationDeadline", which
applies to ubuntu-docs, is on April 7.

Please let me know if you have questions about the use of the scripts.

--
for the Documentation Team:
Gunnar Hjalmarsson