[desktop] Details about the 16.04 news

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 12:49:36 UTC 2016

Den 2016-03-16 kl. 13:22, skrev Gunnar Hjalmarsson:
> Hi Nio, and thanks for the proposal!
>
> On 2016-03-16 12:18, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>> I would like to add one new item to the documents about Ubuntu 16.04
>> LTS:
>>
>> The Startup Disk Creator (alias usb-creator-gtk) is revamped into a
>> cloning device. It makes it reliable :-)
>>
>> But it means some drawbacks too.

> Actually there is nothing in the desktop docs about installing Ubuntu.
> The logic, AFAICT, is that Ubuntu Help is available via an item in the
> system menu from within a session, and at that stage installation help
> has been considered too late.
>
> The first thing I come to think of which should be modified, due to what
> you just let us know, is this page:
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu
>
> However, that page is maintained by Canonical, and is beyond the control
> of the docs team. One way to call their attention to it is to submit a
> rt ticket.
>
> https://rt.ubuntu.com/

Hej Gunnar!

There is a complication with the official Ubuntu documentation: The old
version might stay around for years in 14.04 LTS, so it would be good to
have a text specific to Xenial.

Maybe the release notes is a better place?

Or your documentation: after all, when the Startup Disk Creator is used
in Xenial, the user must have Xenial running, so the documentation can
be there :-)

Best regards
Nio