[desktop] Details about the 16.04 news

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 15 22:49:28 UTC 2016

Good questions, Doug!

On 2016-03-15 21:54, Doug Smythies wrote:
> So that I can figure out differences and such, I am running two
> Ubuntu desktop computers, one with 15.10 and one with 16.04. Help
> pages that used to have a "click here" type of thing to open the old
> "Ubuntu Software Center" to install the desired app, now seems to
> open something other than "Software". Does anybody know what it is
> called?

It seems to be apturl. From 'man apturl':

"apturl is a simple graphical application that takes an URL (following
the apt-protocol) as a command line option, parses it and carries out
the operations that the URL describes (that is, it asks the user if he
wants the indicated packages to be installed and if the answer is
positive does so)."

To illustrate, I could install synaptic via this terminal command:

apturl apt:synaptic

> While we are at it, can someone confirm or deny that the cheese app
> is installed by default now?

It is installed by default in Ubuntu, since ubuntu-desktop depends on it.

$ apt-cache rdepends cheese
cheese
Reverse Depends:
  gnome
  ubuntukylin-desktop
  ubuntu-gnome-desktop
  junior-video
  junior-toys
  junior-art
  ubuntu-desktop
  cinnamon-desktop-environment

So app-cheese.page should be changed.

> By the way, the html pages equivalent goes to very out of date
> locations, not updated since 13.10. For example:
> https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/flashplugin-installer/

Hmm.. The whole apps.ubuntu.com site seems to not be maintained any longer.

Possibly we should reconsider the rewriting of "apt:" URLs in
html/fix-urls.sed. It's possible to tell Firefox to use AptURL for
"apt:" links, and that way activate the apturl dialog automatically also
when clicking an "apt:" link from the browser.

But let's talk more about this after Thursday.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj