Current wiki access status

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 20 00:19:40 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-08 19:53, Elizabeth K. Joseph wrote (in the "Noticeboard?"
thread):
> Our spammers ... joined other teams, sat on accounts for months
> before using them (not just created less than a week ago). Some even
> signed the Code of Conduct. They'd followed up by emailing the admins
> of the team saying they work on Ubuntu and wanted access (but very
> poor English with requests that made non sense often made it obvious
> that they weren't legitimate contributors). It became almost
> impossible to tell the difference between legitimate newcomers and
> spammers.

Earlier today I invalidated a bug, and recalled what Elisabeth said
above when doing so. The completely useless "bug" (see
<https://launchpad.net/bugs/1594178>) was reported by
<https://launchpad.net/~wardsandra63>. Take a look at the bug history of
that "user": <http://tinyurl.com/gsmxu3w>. It's highly likely that the
account is there solely for abuse purposes.

Now, this kind of "users" show up in the bug tracker now and then; I
have certainly met quite a few of them on the tiny, tiny portion of the
bug tracker I have visited. Why isn't there an easy way to report
suspected abuse accounts? The recent problems with the wikis make that
question even more motivated, don't they?

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj