Noticeboard?

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 8 22:16:03 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 11:59 AM, Alberto Salvia Novella
<es20490446e at gmail.com> wrote:
> Before making a decision about it, I would ask other communities about how
> they deal with this kind of problem. Like the Security Stack Exchange or the
> Wikimedia Foundation.

Thanks for volunteering to do this, I'm eager to learn what you discover.

Switching hats to speak as one of the systems engineers on another
community, I'm a member of the infrastructure team for OpenStack. We
have a wiki that also been the target of similar attacks this year and
we also use Ubuntu SSO. We have disabled all new account creation for
the past few months. We're using Mediawiki, so our first plan to get
past this temporary measure is to upgrade that so we can use more
modern spam combating tools with a newer version of Mediawiki. Our
next step will likely be moving off of Ubuntu SSO since, among other
factors, there doesn't seem to be a process with Ubuntu SSO to request
that the identified spam accounts be removed or to revise the account
creation process at all.