Noticeboard?

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Wed Jun 8 18:01:01 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-08 20:55, Elizabeth K. Joseph wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <gunnarhj at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On 2016-06-07 17:40, Elizabeth K. Joseph wrote:
>>> The reason I've struggled to keep this mailing list informed about
>>> every time the wiki is locked, unlocked, access changed is because
>>> 1) the spammers are reading this and every other public resource we
>>> create (including IRC logs), so informing the community of every
>>> change means we're also telling the spammers, every single time we
>>> make a change we have to sit down and consider the value to the
>>> community versus the impact this will have on the spammers and the
>>> team admins when we announce it
>> Basically you tell us that the vandals won. Can't accept that.
> In the short term, they did. I'm sorry you can't accept this, but I
> was exhausted by the work and won't continue to do it. It was a waste
> of time by a bunch of smart people who should be spending their time
> on other things.
>
> We need a better solution than burning out every new volunteer who
> wants to do this.

Indeed, I would say the spammers have also won in the case we use all of
our available time in moderating new users rather than work on the
documentation/insert-task-you-are-working-on-here itself. And not only
won, they have also eaten all of our time and potential to make Ubuntu
better.

Cheers,
Pasi

--