Noticeboard?

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 7 15:40:23 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 5:04 AM, Chris Perry <clissold345 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Does the Docs Team have a noticeboard? I mean somewhere to post
> temporary (well, that we think will be temporary) notices. I'm
> imagining that the noticeboard would be publicly accessible because
> some of the notices might be of public interest. One example of a
> notice might be that if regular Docs Team meetings started again, then
> the date and time of the next meeting could be posted on the
> noticeboard. If we don't have a noticeboard, can we create one? If we
> create one then I think we should commit to using it for a year or
> two. If it proves to be of little use after a trial period, we can
> scrap it.
>
> My point here about the noticeboard is a general one. However, I also
> have a candidate notice for it: if we haven't already done so I think
> we should (publicly) announce that the community help wiki is
> currently locked (ordinary launchpad users cannot edit it). It would
> appear from Paul White's email yesterday on this list that there has
> been no (public) announcement (though the info has been passed around
> haphazardly). Is that correct?
>
> What do people think: 1/ of the idea of a noticeboard? 2/ of a notice
> that the community help wiki is currently locked?

I'm having trouble figuring out how this is different than our current
mailing list and wiki page.

The reason I've struggled to keep this mailing list informed about
every time the wiki is locked, unlocked, access changed is because 1)
the spammers are reading this and every other public resource we
create (including IRC logs), so informing the community of every
change means we're also telling the spammers, every single time we
make a change we have to sit down and consider the value to the
community versus the impact this will have on the spammers and the
team admins when we announce it 2) I'm a volunteer with a busy travel
schedule and full time job outside of Ubuntu, I have a limited amount
of time to work on Ubuntu these days and I can't currently make more
time for this than I already have

Historically, meetings and other broad team notices have been added to
our team wiki page at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam with
chairs and other organizers editing the Meeting Banner at the top
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/MeetingBanner Gunnar, Doug
and Peter have kept this updated over time. I think this has worked
well for us, people can subscribe to /MeetingBanner on the wiki and
get email notifications. When you're logged in to the wiki, go to:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/MeetingBanner?action=subscribe
(this is from the drop down menu for More Actions:)

In short, I don't think tools are our problem. We still need that
person I've been asking for who has the time and capacity do the work
of planning and announcing meetings, keeping us all updated and
generally bringing cohesion and productivity to this team.