[desktop] ubuntu-docs branch ready for yakkety

Doug Smythies dsmythies at telus.net
Sun Jul 3 04:20:05 UTC 2016

On 2016.06.27 08:15 Hannie Dumoleyn wrote:
> Op 20-06-16 om 16:40 schreef Hannie Dumoleyn:
>>>>

>>> Hi Hannie,
>>> I'd like to help with the Unity8 docs, is there a group of people
>>> collaborating or are you just doing it on your own?  If you are doing
>>> it on your own, would you be open to collaborating?
>>> Ian
>> Hello Ian,
>> Thanks for your kind offer. I was just going to ask on the list who
>> wants to help. What we can do is the following. You, me, and other
>> team members who want to help, can start by installing the Unity 8
>> preview (sudo apt install unity8-desktop-session-mir) and explore it.
>> Since it is very different from Unity 7 I suggest we start a whole new
>> chapter from scratch.
>> At the moment it does not work too well in Xenial 16.04.1, but it is a
>> beginning.

It didn't work on my 16.04 LapTop either.
Then I looked around at some references, and got the impression that no
it doesn't work on 16.04 desktops.

So I installed the daily iso for 16.10, and then it sort of works.

>> We can try to gather as much information on Unity 8 as we
>> can get and share it.
>> Greets,
>> Hannie
> (June 27) To all our team members who are interested in helping to write
> documentation for Unity 8:
> About a week ago I wrote to our list, and to Ian, that I wanted to start
> gathering information and test Unity 8 on my desktop. I did not get it
> working well, so I filed a bug on June 22, see
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity8-desktop-session/+bug/1595238.
> I am still waiting patiently to see if anyone can help me get System
> Settings, Browser and Terminal work so I can get on with my exploration.

My experience on a 16.04 machine was the same as yours.
Now, on the 16.10 machine, the browser and system settings work, but
I can not figure out how to get a terminal window. I even installed
a command line app from the app store, but I don't know where it went.
At least I can't find it. Another app called "terminal" always gave me
a download error.

Note: my LAN connection is hardwired, I never gave my wi-fi access password.
I can also check from another computer using ssh, after installing openssh-server
while running the normal desktop stuff.

> In the meantime, I want to know if gathering information on Unity 8 and
> publish it in a shared document, or send it to this list, is a good
> idea. So far, I have not got any reaction on the above emails.

I do not know. Actually, I do not intend to get involved in documentation
for Unity 8, but am willing to get involved in the desktop docs infrastructure
changes needed to accommodate it.

> Hannie
... Doug