Committing multiple branches to Launchpad

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 30 15:16:35 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-30 17:03, Ted Cox wrote:
> Doug, Gunnar, and I saw some behavior with Launchpad where changes
> from previous merge proposals show up in new merge proposals.
>
> Here's what I was doing:
>
> 1. Edit file1.xml
> 2. bzr commit --fixes...
> 3. bzr push lp:~ted-m-cox/serverguide/branch1
> 4. Submit merge proposal for branch 1
> 5. Edit file2.xml
> 6. bzr commit --fixes...
> 7. bzr push lp:~ted-m-cox/serverguide/branch2
> 8. Submit merge proposal for branch2
>
> On Launchpad, changes from branch1 would then show up in the merge
> proposal for branch2. If I'm working on multiple bug fixes, should I
> commit and push in a different way? Maybe make several small commits
> and then push everything to one branch?

Let me give you my view via an alternative step-by-step list:

1. Edit file1.xml
2. bzr commit --fixes...
3. bzr push lp:~ted-m-cox/serverguide/myfixes
4. Edit file2.xml
5. bzr commit --fixes...
6. bzr push lp:~ted-m-cox/serverguide/myfixes
7. Submit merge proposal for myfixes

In other words, only one merge proposal should be submitted. Also, step
#3 is not necessary. If you skip step #3, all the changes in your local
copy will be pushed to "myfixes" in step #6 anyway.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj