UbumtuOnMacMini/UbuntuOnMacMini pages conflict

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 16:45:48 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 12:39 PM, Alberto Salvia Novella <
es20490446e at gmail.com> wrote:

> Adam Israel:
>
>> Whenever I’ve googled for "install Ubuntu on a Mac Mini", the first link
>> that comes up is:
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbumtuOnMacMini
>>
>> The typo in the name — Ubumtu — is unfortunate. I thought I could rename
>> the page, but that option isn’t available to me. I dropped by
>> #ubuntu-doc, and pmatulis noticed we also have this page:
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuOnMacMini
>>
>> The former has more current updates than the correctly spelled version.
>> It seems like some sort of merge is in order, but I’m not sure the best
>> way to go about that.
>>

> @ Timothy Smith
>
> Any insight on this?

I hope nobody minds me jumping in to this discussion, because I have a tiny
bit of experience with this.

I believe there's no direct way to "rename" a misspelled wiki page, HOWEVER

Assuming the correctly spelled page does not yet exist, create it, copy the
content from the old to the new page, and set the old page to re-direct to
the new page. (That way any internal or external links will still work.)
You might also change the contents of the old page to make it clear it's no
longer the correct place, but from my testing, the old page should no
longer appear in ordinary circumstances.

For completeness one might also update the links in the wiki that point to
the page, though for what I assume might be a low-usage page, it may not be
worth the effort.

If you need to see an example, see my email from January 31st or look at
the page I fixed then:

old page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/sane.d%20tutorial