Recent modifications on a wiki page

Tom Davies tomcecf at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 19:23:53 UTC 2015

Hi :)
Ahh, if he/she has a known way of working and is not some random stranger
then it is much less of a worry!!

@Andrea - Sorry for mistaking your gender.  I made that mistake purely
because your name ends in a vowel.  So, now i'm feeling quite foolish
because i'm starting to remember lots of other guy names that do too.  One
being one of my own middle names!  I'm glad to see you are much less
annoyed than i would be about both that and the original problems from your
1st post.

@ All - I'm not quite sure what the person expects Andrea to do with the
edit.  A neat way for them to have handled it would be to copy&paste it to
the page they thought most appropriate and maybe leave a link to it
somewhere useful, like putting it on this;
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BIOSUpdate
page, as that's the one they suggested.  Personally i think it does make
more sense at the bottom of the list, where you put it, but either way
'should' be fine.

Does everything have to be completely perfect before it goes onto a
wiki-page?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_early,_release_often

There was another comment about deleting some content because it's labelled
as being unverified.  Again i think that it is better to leave such notes
in.  They may well prove useful to someone.  It's like noticing a curious
mould growing on the surface of a friends space-ship and then not bothering
to let them know because you haven't fully analysed it yet.  Imo it's
better to release the information and then see if others confirm or refute
it.

I tend to find that many noobs have either knowledge about something or
skills at wiki-editing.  It's rare to find someone has both when they first
join the community.  I'd hope that we encourage both and maybe help them
learn a bit in the process?

One of my favourite pages was one where i created the blank page.  An
expert in Sound dumped a whole load of plain-text into the page.  I then
made some things bold, some into headings, and generally tidied the mark-up
a bit.  Then i emailed him to ask about other such changes he wanted.  We
carried on working on the page together like that until he started to do
more and more of his own mark-up and i was able to leave him to it.  I
asked about consolidating all the various pages about Sound but he wasn't
happy to take all that on too.

Regards from
Tom :)