Issue tracker for Ubuntu wiki?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 31 22:19:36 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-31 23:05, Karl-Philipp Richter wrote:
> Doesn't have Ubuntu have a server laying around where such a tracker
> could be hosted? It's possible to start a project on launchpad.net as
> well, right?!?

Well.. yes.

In general we use Launchpad's bug tracker for Ubuntu. As regards the
*official* documentation at help.ubuntu.com, there are bug trackers in
place.

Desktop guide:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs

Server guide:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/serverguide

Bugs reported there are handled by the documentation team.

Technically it wouldn't be very hard to set up a project with a bug
tracker for the community help wiki as well. But who would do it? And,
what's much more important: Who would take care of all those bugs?

The community help wiki is a place where Ubuntu users - any user - can
help other Ubuntu users by creating and/or editing user tutorials.
Anybody who notice an issue on one of the pages can edit it themselves.

Sometimes people (erroneously) report issues about individual community
help wiki pages to the desktop guide bug tracker. I usually respond with
this standard wording:

"Please note that the page in question is a wiki page which anybody can
edit - including you. ;-)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WikiGuide
Since you seem to know how it should be changed, it would be great if
you could fix it.

Due to the nature of the community help wiki, you can't request changes
to it in the form of bug reports."

May I ask, Kalle: Have you contributed to one or more community help
wiki pages and are interested in some kind of feedback? Is that possibly
the reason why you ask these questions?

>> First you mentioned wiki.ubuntu.com, and then the guide at
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WikiGuide
>>
>> I assume that you are actually talking about the community help wiki at
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommunityHelpWiki, and not about
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ .
> Now about my confusion: Are there two wikis, then?

Yes.

> I see the difference in the domain, but don't quite understand anything
> more. Can you explain or redirect, please?

I think we have already covered the purpose of
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommunityHelpWiki

As regards https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ it contains miscellaneous contents
provided by teams and individuals. You'd better navigate it to get a clue.

>> I noticed your edit at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WikiGuide,
>> where you wrote that "the Ubuntu wiki is maintained by the Ubuntu
>> documentation team". Personally I disagree on that statement. I'd rather
>> say that the docs team *monitors* the community help wiki to some
>> extent, while the actual *maintenance* is carried out by all the
>> individual contributors.
> Understandable and sounds much better :)

Let's wait a couple of days before making any adjustment to see if
somebody wants to chime in with other views on how it should be
described. (This topic has been subject to debate many times in the past.)

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj