introduction and PopularPages (formerly NewDocs) team transition

Leigh Tate leigh.tate at linuxmail.org
Thu Mar 20 12:08:20 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: Pasi Lallinaho
Sent: 03/20/14 07:52 AM
To: Leigh Tate, ubuntu-doc at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: introduction and PopularPages (formerly NewDocs) team transition

On 20/03/14 13:14, Leigh Tate wrote:Greetings. My name is Leigh Tate (aka Buntu Bunny on the Ubuntu Forums). I am a member of the former NewDocs, now PopularPages team. We have recently merged with the Ubuntu Docs Contributors, so I thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself and share what my part has been on that team.

I had the privilege of being part of the formation period of NewDocs (PopularPages), along with Geoff Smith and David Pires. Once it was established, there was an obvious need to keep it up to date. We established guidelines and created ToBeReviewed https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages/ToBeReviewed  as a sandbox for pages that needed tending too:

- outdated pages that hadn't been updated in more than 18 months
- tagged pages
- pages for versions of Ubuntu no longer supported

My part on the team has been to slowly review PopularPages for these, one page at a time. I used the NewDocs email list to run the proposed changes by the other team members for feedback. Once the team was in agreement, the changes were made by me, either moving them to the sandbox or deleting as the team decided.

Now that we are working more closely with the Ubuntu Docs Contributors team, I thought it might be a good time to evaluate what we've been doing and ask if any changes should be made. As time allows, I'm more than happy to continue doing as I have been. Would this email list be a good place to get feedback on proposed changes? Or something else? Do we want to continue evaluating PopularPages pages in the same way or change the procedure? I'm a willing participant; I just want to be in sync with the team goals.

Leigh
Hey Leigh and welcome to this mailing list as well!

As some background information to those who didn't know it, I have been pushing this merge of the PopularPages team forward. I'm happy we finally got to it!

What Leigh describes as what their team has been doing is pretty much what the documentation team at large should be doing, only in an area that revolves around the most popular pages... which is wise, because it helps the team focus on a smaller subset of pages while actually tagging (and maintaining) the pages. That being said, there is no reason to change the procedures if they have proven to be working for the team.

Cheers,
Pasi-- Pasi Lallinaho (knome) » http://open.knome.fi/  Leader of Shimmer Project and Xubuntu » http://shimmerproject.org/  Graphic artist, webdesigner, Ubuntu member » http://xubuntu.org/
Thank you Pasi! I have loved being a part of the NewDocs team and the merger seemed like a huge pat on the back for our work. I am delighted to be part of the Ubuntu Doc team.
Hopefully Geoff will send a message to the list soon too, to explain what his area of participation has been.
Best wishes,
Leigh