[Desktop Help] Copyright Issue - Clarification Needed

Greg Beam ki7mt at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 13 03:56:11 UTC 2014

Hello All,

Doug sent out an email a day or so ago regarding some problems I had
with an MP for Online Accounts. One of the issues we had (still have),
is the "About" section at the bottom of each page, the different methods
being used for declaration or lack there of.

I put 4 examples (there may be more) in a single image for ease of
understanding (not high quality, but enough for illustration).
Unknowingly, I added to this problem by:

1). Adding the copyright information in the <info> section of the .page
files Item #3. The reason for this was formatting Look & Feel in the
"About" section. I was trying to mirror the author and editor sections.

2). In an attempt to make this change universal, using the legal.xml
file, I left out the Mallard url portion of the link, which broke it for
all files using the legal.xml xref. It has since been fixed and should
be rendering correctly in Help as of ubuntu-docs r330

The four variants I've found thus far, in Ubuntu Help r330 are:

#1 Ubuntu Help: No declaration at all.

#2 Ubuntu Help: KI7MT method using just <license> tag no legal.xml

#3 Ubuntu Help: Gnome method using legal.xml link

#4 Ubuntu Help: Gnome method using a personal copyright.

None of this is super critical at the moment, but if we let it go too
long, we could be scrambling at release time.

I'm not sure who this should go too nor who makes the call on which way
to proceed, but a bit of guidance now could save us allot of work on the
other end.

Greg
ki7mt at yahoo.com