[ Dekstop Help ] First Contributions - Lesson Learned

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 17 18:59:54 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 1:35 AM, Greg Beam <ki7mt at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Warning, This Is A "Long Email" .. here we go :-)
>
> I'd like to thank the folks in ubuntu-docs IRC, dsmythies, shaunm__,
> godbyk, knome, bkerensa, (sri if I've left anyone out) for helping me
> with the problems I ran into. If not for them, I would still be in a
> tail spin wondering what went wrong and how do I fix it.

Huge thanks for taking the time to write this up!

> - Editing TAB:
> --------------
> * If the way forward is Mallard for Desktop Help, we need to overhaul
> this page completely.

I think part of our problem with the wiki is that it's not intended to
just cover the Ubuntu Desktop help, which is in Mallard. The
xubuntu-docs and serverguide at least are still on DocBook. While we
can share bzr workflow documentation, there will always be a split
between projects using Mallard and those using Docbook, and now the
server folks are talking about switching to RST.

So I agree that this page should be overhauled, but not by deleting
DocBook references, probably by writing a more clear description of
which projects use what (I can try to take a stab at this over the
weekend).

http://www.princessleia.com