Calling for Server Guide reviewers/contributors - - TRUSTY

Doug Smythies dsmythies at telus.net
Fri Jan 3 17:37:17 UTC 2014

On 2014.01.03 07:58 Peter Matulis wrote:
> On 01/03/2014 10:43 AM, Peter Matulis wrote:
>> On 01/03/2014 01:08 AM, Mauricio Tavares wrote:

>>>       I can help; it would be a good way to understand the new format.
>>> Should I do what you did and fetch a chapter somehow, edit it and
>>> place it somewhere so it can be seen before brought back?
>>
>> Let's work from here:
>>
>> https://code.launchpad.net/~petermatulis/+junk/serverguide-rst
>>
>> You can make a branch of that and then I can occasionally merge in your
>> new work.

> Mauricio, and anyone else, start by looking at installation.rst.  It
> contains good samples of the new way of doing things.  For the
> cross-reference link to the 'Aptitude' heading you will also need to
> look at package-management.rst.

Also adding back:

On 2014.01.02 20:58 Peter had written:

> After having spent a good part of the day going through just one file
> (chapter) I now know how much work is involved:

> 1. A good number of external links are broken
> 2. All internal links are broken and require a new way of linking
> (source and destination)
> 3. All admonitions (i.e. "notes" and "warnings") are crippled, but not
> outright broken
> 4. All working external links *should* be changed to a new format
> 5. Heading organization need to be redone in all chapters.  All chapters
> have multiple 1st level headings.  This is what was causing the
> flattened/expansize table of contents I mentioned earlier.
> 6. More theme/customization work
> 7. Research how this conversion will affect the translators and come up
> with a corrective plan

> I can't do all this myself; I estimate there is about 120 hours of work
> required.  Anyone?

It is just my opinion, but I think we are getting ahead of ourselves
here.

Peter has a come up with an estimate for items 1-6, which is good.
Some contingency time should be added to that estimate for issues not
yet discovered (for example some tables are missing completely and
some are not). For example, we are still finding issues with the "new"
theme in the existing server guide after 2 almost two years.

However, I think item 7, translations and the overall workflow is
the unknown at this time, and could be a major hurtle or even a
show stopper. We need to estimate that part of the project for
feasibility, person hours, and potential timeline for implementation.
Myself, I would put a hold on items 1-6 for now.
Myself, I do not know how to even start looking into item 7, but
I'll help if possible.

... Doug