Calling for Server Guide reviewers/contributors - - TRUSTY

Peter Matulis peter.matulis at canonical.com
Fri Jan 3 04:58:01 UTC 2014

On 01/02/2014 03:52 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
> Hi :)
> I quite liked it's simplicity but is it possible to move the "Quick
> Search" feature to the top of the column (on the right) rather than
> leaving it at the bottom?
>
> The contents lists are quite long so people probably don't instantly
> realise the functionality exists.  Also putting it at the top-right
> would make it more consistent with other wiki's wouldn't it?  (err, i
> don't know now since i haven't checked for ages!)
>
> Anyway, good work so far!
> Congrats and regards from
> Tom :)
>

> On 2 January 2014 18:36, Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 6:13 PM, Peter Matulis
>> <peter.matulis at canonical.com> wrote:

>>> Here is my own attempt, including some branding.  Feedback welcome.
>>> Yes, there are still broken links and the table of contents is too
>>> expansive.  I really like the streamlined markup (see 'Show Source' at
>>> the bottom of the TOC).
>>>
>>> http://serverguide.papamike.ca:8081
>>>
>>        I think it looks nice; I do like simple clean interfaces so you
>> can focus on content. How many header levels can you have with it?
>>
>> With that in mind, now I have some free time I personally want to
>> figure out my ssh key issue and then populate some of the docs. For
>> that, I do not care about whatever format we choose; just make sure we
>> can convert from the current to the new style with as little pain as
>> possible.
>>
>> In the mean time, I can work and flesh out my notes until I can start
>> working on those docs. I would like to be able to sit down on the
>> weekend and get stuff done. Ideally one topic per weekend.

After having spent a good part of the day going through just one file
(chapter) I now know how much work is involved:

1. A good number of external links are broken
2. All internal links are broken and require a new way of linking
(source and destination)
3. All admonitions (i.e. "notes" and "warnings") are crippled, but not
outright broken
4. All working external links *should* be changed to a new format
5. Heading organization need to be redone in all chapters.  All chapters
have multiple 1st level headings.  This is what was causing the
flattened/expansize table of contents I mentioned earlier.
6. More theme/customization work
7. Research how this conversion will affect the translators and come up
with a corrective plan

I can't do all this myself; I estimate there is about 120 hours of work
required.  Anyone?

pmatulis