[WIKI]Re: A Thought On Clamming People's Fears of Wiki Editing

Svetlana Belkin belkinsa at ubuntusense.com
Fri Feb 14 23:30:16 UTC 2014

On 02/13/2014 09:19 PM, Svetlana Belkin wrote:
> I was chatting with knome and slickymaster on an IRC channel and knome
> said that many people who want to edit a wiki page are scared to edit a
> wiki page or they fear that they lack the know-how of doing so.  My
> thought is that I think we should add a bit somewhere on the Community
> Help Wiki or our team page about the fact that we have wiki admins and
> rollbacks.  I think this may lessen the fear.

I had a thought while working on the outline to my lesson on the Wiki
part of the team for our classroom session about the rollback feature.
This is what I wrote in the outline:

" i. Please don't fear that your content is wrong, we have wiki admins
that can approve the change or you can always rollback to the version
before your change
 a) How to this:
Log in via LP
Under the “Ubuntu Wiki”, you should see a menu bar that starts with “Edit”
Next to the 'Edit”, you should see a “Info” button- this will take you
to a page called Revision History
Here you can see:
Revision Number (#) - which shows how many revisons the page gone through
Date – which shows when the revison was made
Size – which shows how large the page and/or if there is attachments to
the page
Diff - which allows to compare two versions of the same page
Editor – which allows to see who done the last edit
Comment – which allows to see what the editor did, if there is a comment
Action – which allows to view the page without the diff
Clicking on “View” will allow to enter the revison
down that is labled, “More Actions:”.
Scroll down to “Revert to this revison”.
Another page will pop up after section
You can comment on why you doing this
And select “Revert” if you are sure on the choice"

I think this should be added somewhere so users are aware of this along
with something about the wiki admins having the power to view the edits.

Thank you.
--
Svetlana Belkin A.K.A: belkinsa
Member of: LoCo Contacts, Ubuntu Doc Team, Ubuntu Ohio, Ubuntu Women