[WIKI]Re: A Thought On Clamming People's Fears of Wiki Editing

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 14 18:25:42 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Pasi Lallinaho <pasi at shimmerproject.org> wrote:
> Mentorship that lasts throughout a cycle (or any other pre-specified
> timeframe) can be a pro for the mentoring cycle, but as you implied, it can
> be tough to find (enough) people who are willing to commit to help one or
> two people for six months.
>
> I, personally, am not willing to make such commitment at this point. On the
> other hand, I'm usually quite active on IRC and always willing to help
> people when they need a hand.

+1, I've never been involved in a successful mentoring program in the
Ubuntu project. Mentors get busy, mentees get busy and it's very
difficult to manage expectations on both sides ("my mentor never
replies" "my mentee won't do anything for themselves").

Asking folks to join the main team resources and having casual
mentorships grow organically works much better.

http://www.princessleia.com