Global Wiki Jam 2014

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 11 02:38:38 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Svetlana Belkin
<belkinsa at ubuntusense.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I was thinking about doing a Global Wiki Jam during Global Jam Days[1]
> this year.  This will allow the Doc Team to clean up the (rather) messy,
> outdated Community Help Wiki [2].  I believe that using outside help
> will allow this to happen.
>
> I would like to have agreement over this before working up the "docs"
> for running this.
>
> [1]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGlobalJam
> [2]https://help.ubuntu.com/community

Just replying to the -doc list, I think it's a great idea.

For our side, I think we want to work to improve the documentation
that the Global Jam currently links to and promote that.

Currently when you click on "Documentation" you're taken to this page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Jams/Docs

Glancing over that, it looks reasonably accurate, but I think it will
need some tune ups here and there. The jam also lands too late in the
cycle for folks to really help with system documentation, so we'll
really want to make sure we push the wiki side of it. For the wiki
stuff, you have to go down to the Tasks section
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Jams/Docs#Tasks

...which links to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Wiki/Tasks

I think that looks ok overall too, but could use some attention if it
will be the core document people are looking at.

>From there I think it just comes to promoting wiki documentation work
as a thing you can do for your jam :) Announcing it on lists (as you
have done), writing blog posts about it, making sure LoCo teams have
easy access to the resources. For a QA Jam I did a year ago I shared a
list of things I was printing from the wiki:
http://princessleia.com/journal/?p=6749 (unfortunately this was *post*
event, to help folks who were planning one in the future).

http://www.princessleia.com