Team Meeting agenda item - "Review quick rebuild:" Proposed new glue pages

Doug Smythies dsmythies at telus.net
Sun Aug 24 02:54:37 UTC 2014

For the pending team meeting (which I can not attend), I wanted to start
a thread to discuss the proposed new glue pages for help.ubuntu.com.

I like the proposed page example, with these comments:

We (well me at least) want the very few "glue" pages, that hold the
contents of help.ubuntu.com together, to be as simple as possible so
as to take minimal effort to update for every release cycle.

We are currently using a drilldown structure of release version then
what one wants in that version (desktop help or serverguide or ...).
The one proposed page has a drill down order of what one wants then
the version.

The proposed page has 13.10, but 13.10 is EOL and has been deleted from
help.ubuntu.com

The "report an bug" link should exactly reflect what the current page
contains, as the referral sentence was just updated a cycle or two ago.
The destination link is currently not correct.

Do we really want all that partner stuff near the bottom of the page?
My input: No. (actually, I would delete most of the stuff in that area.)

The search function (which isn't that great anyhow) isn't included.
Should it be included?

The external links to css files and such mean that help.ubuntu.com
will be less able to stand on it's own, which we often do for testing
and checking. (for example on my test server.) It will also make
us slave to things we can not simply fix as the link location is out
of our jurisdiction. (I would hope to avoid issues ending up on
some list somewhere and not acted on in a timely manner).

Question:
Is the proposal to change all of the glue pages (that is currently about
4 pages, and will be 5 at 14.10 release) or just the highest
level page?

... Doug