Next Doc team meeting: Aug 6

Doug Smythies dsmythies at telus.net
Fri Aug 8 14:01:48 UTC 2014

On 2104.08.07 12:46 Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>> On 2014-08-07 20:39, Peter Matulis wrote:

>>> As far as I know, there is no such separation between "documentation"
>>> and "code"; hence my doubts. Both the contents and the HTML markup are
>>> created when building the HTML. Exceptions would be the few index pages,
>>> which are edited directly in lp:~ubuntu-core-doc/ubuntu-docs/help.ubuntu.com
>>
>> There is a clear distinction between files pertaining to Ubuntu
>> documentation and those pertaining to the look of a website.
>
> Well, within the lp:ubuntu-docs and lp:serverguide branches there is, of
> course.
>
>> Wherever the latter changes need to be made is irrelevant to make that
>> point
>
> I don't think it's irrelevant. It sounds as if you want to establish
> some rules as regards which files in the branches you as an
> ~ubuntu-core-doc member are allowed to edit and which files you are not.
> I can't see how such rules would be helpful. Of course, members of
> ~ubuntu-core-doc are expected to only make changes as long as they know
> what they are doing. Besides that, we don't need further restrictions IMO.
>
> The html/ubuntu.xsl file in lp:ubuntu-docs is certainly controlling the
> look of the web site. I have made (tiny) changes to it twice lately. But
> please note that committing such changes to help.ubuntu.com is not a
> separate process. You commit them by building the HTML pages and
> committing those pages to lp:~ubuntu-core-doc/ubuntu-docs/help.ubuntu.com
>
>> Do you also want to be included along with Doug?

All documentation committers should be equally included.

> I certainly want to keep being allowed to make changes as those I just
> mentioned.
>
> But you are probably referring to:
>
> "It was decided that you, Doug, being the only one familiar with this,
> will be the preferred party to update the website.  If not done after a
> grace period of 2 weeks then the Canonical web team will do it."

We need to get other documentation committers experienced at updating
the help.ubuntu.com web site.

My name should not be somehow separate from the generic "documentation
committers" pool.

If we are talking about theme and format and display type issues instead
of just updating content, then any help from Canonical would be most
appreciated.

> After this latest conversation, I understand the meaning of it even less
> than before.
>
> Peter: What problem is it you are trying to address? Can't help feeling
> that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies.

Yes, I am confused also.
All I ever wanted with these pending changing was to still be able to do what
we (documentation committers as opposed to "doug" by himself) were doing before.

Even though I have made several fixes, I am not particularly knowledgeable about
the new theme (the red one), nor should I be the preferred maintainer.