wiki vs documentation

Jonathan Aquilina eagles051387 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 06:54:26 UTC 2013

Liz why not make it more detailed and those that need something basic can
filter out what they need, I say that the more in the documentation the
better. alot of the software has lots of features and if you only provide
basic features end users might not know if there is a better features of a
particular piece of software that they should be using.

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 12:18 AM, Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph
<lyz at ubuntu.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 2:50 PM, Jonathan Aquilina
> <eagles051387 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What is the difference between the wiki and the official documentation?
> > wouldnt it be better to grow the official documentation instead of
> maintain
> > two instances of documentation?
>
> There are 2 main differences: barrier to entry and maintainability.
>
> To contribute to the official documentation that's published at
> help.ubuntu.com you need to be familiar with bzr, mallard and more.
>
> We have also committed to keeping this official documentation up to
> date so it can be translated and ship with every release. This means
> making it somewhat simpler than we may like in some ways so it remains
> maintainable by the teams available.
>
> To contribute to the wiki-based documentation at
> help.ubuntu.com/community you only need to know some wiki markup -
> much easier! We also don't strictly make a commitment to keep this up
> to date or coordinate with the translations teams, so it's up to the
> wiki gurus who use tags and things to inform users of what is up to
> date, and let contributors know what needs work.
>
> --
> Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph || Lyz || pleia2
> http://www.princessleia.com

Jonathan Aquilina