backup-thinkabout.page system-wide settings

Tom Davies tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 6 08:02:04 UTC 2013

Hi :)
I think you are right.  Yours does look much better than the original.  In addition though i think "Home computer" is a very antiquated term nowadays?  So, perhaps further changes?

SUGGESTED  version2?
System-wide settings
Settings for important parts of the system are not stored in your
    Home folder.  Instead they are most commonly found in the /etc
    folder.  On a normal computer, you will not usually need to back-up
those files.  However, on a server you should back-up the files for
    the major services that run the system.

I was wondering about the "in" whether it should be "on" instead and then realised it probably shouldn't be there at all.  For most people "the system" includes most of the services that run on it.

Don't be shy about editing.  Some things were written so long ago, and/or by non-native English speakers, and/or have been edited word-by-word so many times since that radically re-doing a whole paragraph (or more) is the only way to make it sensible again.  In the above example the 2nd sentence is still part of the "scene setting".  The way it disagrees with the 1st sentence is just to give the reader some background information.  It is that final sentence that really needs to grab people.

You seem to have good instincts so don't fight against them so much.
Regards from
Tom :)