One set of documentation needs to go

Peter Matulis peter.matulis at canonical.com
Wed Oct 9 22:19:14 UTC 2013

On 10/09/2013 03:08 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
> Hi :)
> I think that page is an exception rather than the rule.  The question
> about which is best is one for the forums and if they say the community
> one is out-of-date then we just update it.  If they say the official one
> is wrong then we are stuck because we can't update official docs at the
> moment.

So the Ubuntu forums is now the judge of quality documentation?  Seriously?

> Pages should not be in conflict like that.  They should supplement each
> other.  Where they don't it's a problem.

Should.  Hm.  Should.  Welcome to the Ubuntu wiki, the cyber equivalent
of Frontier Town [1] where everything and nothing is true.

> Should we wipe out all documentation if we find a problem with 1 page in it?

There was a UDS (Oneiric?) where everyone in some grandiose ballrooom
were told to delete 5 wiki pages each.  There were at least 300 people
in the room.

There are of course some excellent pages but I believe we did a giant
disservice by calling it "documentation".  It's not documentation.

~peter

[1]: http://goo.gl/KyWj8H