[Ubuntu-manual] 14,04

Tom Davies tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 9 15:42:32 UTC 2013

Hi :)
I think that is the root of the problem.

It's moderated documentation, as the official documentation, created by team-work but then a whole bunch of loners and others for the community documentation.

Hopefully the community documentation acts as a "way in" for people who are unsure about committing to a team but may well have something useful to say.  A lot of people who start using Gnu&Linux have not had a happy time with communities of MS users or may well be "loners" for other reasons.  Certainly one thing that was nearly a blocker for me was the idea of being part of a community.  The entire rest of the world seems to go one way but i inevitably find myself going a different path.  I've always hated team-sports such as football and was always last one picked.  Even the fat kid and the skinny kid with coke-top glasses got picked ahead of me.

Right now we have "different strokes for different folks" and i don't really like the idea of restricting the types of people that are allowed to get involved.

Once when i went into the Tate Modern a lass with a clipboard wanted to ask me questions and i tried to tell her that i probably would not fit her profile in some fairly major way somehow but she insisted.  One of the last questions was what i thought of the Andy Warhol exhibit and it was clearly THE crucial part of the whole questionnaire.  I said i hadn't seen it because i'd only just walked in and she wailed "but this is the exit!!".

Regards from

Tom :)

On Wednesday, 9 October 2013, 15:26, Svetlana Belkin <barsookmud at yahoo.com> wrote:

On 10/09/2013 08:27 AM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> The problem with the community docs if they are not moderated, we could
> run into the issue of anyone updating a page with total and utter crap.
> How do the community docs are ensured that the material even small
> corrections are accurate?

The community docs are moderated by the Wiki admin team.  When you send
an *major* non-trivial edit, the team gets notified. And the QA team
members deal with the accuracy of the docs.

Svetlana Belkin
--
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/belkinsa