One set of documentation needs to go

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 9 04:20:49 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Peter Matulis
<peter.matulis at canonical.com> wrote:
> And no idea why we also need the "Ubuntu Manual".  See thread in this list:

As an outside observer over the years, here's how I recall the history:

The Ubuntu Doc team always had a pretty high barrier to entry. Indeed,
in spite of the Herculean efforts of the core contributors throughout
the years it did become a project known for being difficult to get
involved with.

So the Ubuntu Manual team was formed to:

1. Create a book-form of documentation that could be printed and
distributed as PDF (I brought several paper copies of with with me
when I did the work in Ghana and we shipped the PDF version with every
PC).

2. Be easier to contribute to. Documentation is never easy and you do
need to learn formatting and such, but they have created a clear on
ramp for contributors of various types and our Desktop documentation
team can learn a lot from them. Indeed - the idea for having a Google
Spreadsheet for tracking reviews this cycle came directly from them.

I do agree that there is an unfortunate division of effort right now
for very similar things. Now that we've grown interest back up in the
doc team I look forward to pursuing collaboration opportunities.
Having Kevin here working on both projects is a fantastic start.

http://www.princessleia.com