UDS May 2013 session notes

Kevin Godby godbyk at gmail.com
Thu May 16 01:07:12 UTC 2013

Hello, everyone.

Today we held a UDS session to discuss the current state of the
documentation team and our plans going forward. This email contains
the meeting notes for this session.

You can view the agenda and meeting notes at
<http://pad.ubuntu.com/uds-1305-community-1305-doc-planning>.  The
Google Hangout session video is available at
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtkiDyZY28Y>.  And the IRC chat logs
can be found at
<http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2013/05/15/%23ubuntu-uds-community-1.html#t19:01>.

= Team Leadership =

Currently, the ubuntu-doc team is being managed by the Community
Council (CC) since the previous team owner is no longer active in the
project.  The CC would like to find a new team owner soon (so they're
not being inundated with ubuntu-doc-related emails and bug reports).

Contributors who would like to be granted commit rights to the
ubuntu-doc bzr repositories should email the ubuntu-doc mailing list
with their request. Current ubuntu-doc contributors will vet the
requests and have the CC set up the access until a new ubuntu-doc team
lead is established.

= Improving the contribution process =

The contribution process as it stands is rather involved and the
instructions on the wiki are outdated.

Kevin Godby [godbyk] and Benjamin Kerensa [bkerensa] will update the
wiki documentation.

Benjamin will review and update the release process (and other
processes) and Kevin will test the processes.

After the initial review and testing is complete, we will seek
volunteers to help us further test the processes.

= Goals for Saucy cycle =

Our goals for the Saucy cycle are:

 * Revitalize the ubuntu-doc team.
 * Work to ensure the contribution, release, and other processes are
well-documented and up to date.
 * Ship up-to-date documentation for Ubuntu 13.10.

= Health check meeting =

We will schedule a health check meeting within the next month or so to
collect comments and feedback from current ubuntu-doc team members,
aspiring contributors, and the Ubuntu community to assess how we can
improve the ubuntu-doc team and its processes.

= Questions, comments, criticism =

If you have any questions, comments, criticisms, or suggestions, feel
free to email <ubuntu-doc at lists.ubuntu.com>.

Thanks!

—Kevin Godby