Fwd: Lubuntu Manual - Getting Started With Lubuntu

Phill Whiteside PhillW at Ubuntu.com
Sat Jun 1 04:41:48 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tong Sun <suntong at lavabit.com>
Date: 1 June 2013 04:56
Subject: Re: Lubuntu Manual - Getting Started With Lubuntu
To: Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm>
Cc: Phill Whiteside <phillw at vpolink.com>, Yorvyk <
yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com>, lubuntu user list <
lubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm>wrote:

> As far as I can see, Mallard is primarily intended for online browseable
> documentation, with output to other offline formats being secondary.
> LaTeX appears to be the other way around in terms of its priorities.

While I was following the thread, I couldn't help but attempting to
recommend something else -- asciidoc from http://asciidoc.org/, because
after all, when writing, the main focus should be on the content, and if
the formatting is getting into the way of documentation, then that's a sign
of bad choice.

Hope that I am not shooting myself in the foot to recommend asciidoc,
because you are writing in (almost) plain text and have all sort of tools
to post-process for you, be it doc-book, or latex, to produce anything,
html file, pdf files, slides, etc, etc.

What prompted me to the recommendation is that, today I noticed on
the asciidoc mlist (http://groups.google.com/group/asciidoc/), the Mallard
is now supported as another asciidoc backend, just like the doc-book/latex
does. Hope that could make LUbuntu documentation a bit easier.

--
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw