ubuntu forum **Important **

Tom Davies tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 24 10:48:42 UTC 2013

Hi :)
At a guess i would say they are going to stay down for around a week.  When i said about changing all my passwords i said that i would change them now and then again in about 2 weeks just to make sure my new passwords hadn't been harvested by some lingering intrusion.  it looks like the site maintainers had roughly the same thought and are keeping it down to ensure that when they do come back up they don't have to suddenly go down again due to some secondary or lingering problem.

Someone contacted me off-list to ask how to change their password for this list too and i really hadn't thought about it.  I have changed it now but my first thought was to change all the Launchpad and other Ubuntu logins.

Personally i would avoid hassling the site maintainers about the issue as they obviously have a lot of work to do and doubtless feel really awful about it.  If you ask them they are likely to feel even more pressured than they already do.

There is a ton of "Community Documentation", there are the Launchpad "Answers" and
http://www.linuxquestions.org
and a ton of other stuff out there.  Take this as an opportunity to explore and find the types of things that noobs might find.  I found Kioskea giving some really really bad and even dangerous advice but they fairly quickly booted me out because they didn't like my answers.  Clearly they don't have many (if any) people that have used any Gnu&Linux but still feel able to give advice about it.

Regards from
Tom :)

>________________________________

forums account, but them being down still cuts my information sources for both
ubuntu and Debian in half.
>Now, seeing how my interests are, I would like to ask:
Does anyone know more?
>Like, How, Why and What exactly happened?
>Who found out? Who did it?
>I know not all questions can be answered, but I would
really like to know all this~

>Or does anyone know where I can find people who I can ask
this?

>Greetings,
>Cornelis

what can I say?

if you get this more than once... but as the key phrase is:

>	* Unfortunately the attackers have gotten every  user's local username, password, and email address from the Ubuntu Forums  database.
have sent it to all the mailing lists I know of, please do pass it on to
others.

>Regards,
>

>Phill.
>Ubuntu Forums is down for
maintenance
>There has been a
security breach on the Ubuntu Forums. The Canonical IS team is working hard as
we speak to restore normal operations. This page will be updated regularly with
progress reports.