Ubuntu Documentation - Getting Started

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 12 16:45:56 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph
<lyz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 12:14 AM, Hannie Dumoleyn
> <lafeber-dumoleyn2 at zonnet.nl> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Since the first part is a copy from here,
>> http://developer.ubuntu.com/packaging/html/getting-set-up.html, can't you
>> use that page and just delete and add text to it?
>
> +1 I don't think we want to be the maintainers of any of the copied
> docs (indeed, I think this is part of the reason the original docs got
> stale). So linking to docs written elsewhere and simply mentioning the
> doc-specific changes is preferred.
>
> As workflow itself, it seems clear but I do have a few questions that
> came up previously that I didn't see answered:
>
> To get the docs, you say:
>
> bzr branch lp:ubuntu-docs
>
> Which is progress, woo, we know where to get the docs now! :)
>
> But it would be helpful to know:
>
>  - What if I want to fix something in an older release?

SRU's for Ubuntu Documentation has been pretty rare even when the team
was active it was a rare occuring and usually only was done by people
who were already familiar with doing SRU's.

We can totally do it though if thats the consensus.

>  - How can I tell I'm working on the development release?
>
>  - Is there a time in the cycle I should work on this? (maybe document
> timing and "sign up to the mailing list to get informed of
> announcements about the doc cycle")

So our doc-cycle is a mess right now because although we have
deadlines in speaking with the release cycle last release it became
evident that some of the freezes we have may not totally be neccesary.
I was easily able to get doc uploaded very very past freeze without
any exception.

Ideally I think it might be important for myself to have a chat with
the release team and work out some deadlines that we have.

> And you mention this in the document, but extending the anatomy of the
> docs may be good if it deviates any from standard Mallard
> documentation (if it doesn't, just point to Mallard docs to help
> people understand)

I hope that we do not deviate from Mallard ;) It would already
complicate on-boarding in my opinion. Ideally I would like to see
Ubuntu Doc Contributions being one of the lowest hanging fruits in the
Community.

--
Benjamin Kerensa
http://benjaminkerensa.com