Documentation - need to start

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 10 07:53:38 UTC 2013

Hi Jon,

On 9 January 2013 13:41, Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 11:16:31AM -0800, Steve Riley wrote:
>> Hey there. Apologies for dropping off the planet the last couple months...when
>> I returned from UDS I was unceremoniously dumped into a project at work that
>> had some legally-mandated completion timelines. Anyway, that's all over now,
>> and I'm ready to get cracking on 13.04 documentation. I could use a little
>> guidance on how to get access to the existing documentation and what are the
>> best tools to use to bring it up to date. Any pointers would be very
>> appreciated, thanks much.
>
> Welcome back :)
>
> David's the guy with most recent experience on the docs.
>
> I think we need to get you added to the ~ubuntu-core-doc team, Matthew can you do that please? (~steveriley)

As with most restricted teams in Ubuntu, we require a sustained level
of contribution before adding new members. That shouldn't slow down
any contributions now though, because we'll very happily review
branches or patches that are sent. Once Steve has contributed some
material he should follow this procedure to get membership:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Organization

> Then on the project https://launchpad.net/kubuntu-docs we need a raring series
>
> The get the actual docs with
> bzr co lp:kubuntu-docs
> and see what needs updated
> probably quite a lot does since it hasn't had a proper updates for ages
> it's written in Docbook which is a fairly simple markup language.
> and don't be afraid to throw out bits since we don't have a good track record of maintaining it keeping it small and simple is best.
>
> good luck and do ask if anything is unclear

Steve, do feel free to ask on the ubuntu-doc mailing list if you have
any questions. There is also a host of material on how to contribute
which you can find here, albeit that not all of it is 100% up to date,
but it is a good start:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation

Bear in mind that the sections on "Mallard" are applicable only to the
Ubuntu documentation, not Kubuntu, which uses Docbook instead.

I've also found this page, which focuses specifically on kubuntu-docs,
this covers much of the same ground but you may find it useful:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kubuntu/SystemDocumentation

Matt